Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering RT4500HD rotator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering RT4500HD rotator
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 10:02:02 -0400
I own a RT4500HD but waiting on cooler weather for installation.  It seems
robust enough as it's replacing a small form-factor prop-pitch.  Between
excessive water leakage after rebuilds and K7NV now SK, I was looking for an
alternative.  The reliability of prop-pitch rebuilds has been disappointing.
N4CC and I have been changing them out every 1-2 years at a cost of $2,500 per
rebuild.  Crazy.  We have a prop-pitch "graveyard" at our remote site with
something like six prop-pitches needing repair.

What seems to happen is that water ingress is caused by excessive surface heat
in the Florida summers, followed by cool rain.  This creates a suck-in effect.
Because a prop-pitch is mounted upside-down in a tower, the seal needs better
protection without having to resort to a special covering.  In this regard, the
DXE rotator seems much better.  In fairness, the prop-pitch was designed for a
different application. But yes, only time will tell.

The first DXE rotator installation will turn a full-size 4L M2 40m monoband
Yagi at 140 ft and a 9L M2 6m Yagi at 155 ft.  Both antennas are mounted on a
3-inch chromoly mast.  This fits within the DXE design spec.  In preparation
for the installation, we used a crane back in April to change out a Rohn 3-inch
thrust bearing with the equivalent type from DXE.  The DXE bearing seems much
more robust.

Paul, W9AC