Re: [TowerTalk] Anchoring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchoring
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 14:52:46 -0800
"No one has mentioned something else that would work. Get your wall strength/rigidity, then, fill it with concrete. Something to consider."

The utility pole anchors I used, the same the power and telephone companies use, are rated for ~16 tons of pull when set in just dirt.

I don't have the monster arm-mounted hydraulic auger they use to set mine, so I dug a hole about 3'x3', and four feet deep, then set the angle, and back-filled with a mixture of crushed 2" rock I had from a previous project, some large rocks, and bound them all together with a slurry made of the removed material, tamping as I went along. Nothing special, just stuff I had on the land, which also cleaned up a lot of rocks I had been kicking around for years, so win-win.

I found it far more practical, and a few thousands of dollars cheaper than obtaining several cubic yards of concrete and a pumper truck with overhead crane to get to the holes.

The installation also has the advantage of being easy to service by hand with garden tools, should there be an anchor issue in the future. No bulldozers, no dynamite, no work crew, just me, a hand trowel, and some spare time.

Kurt