Re: [TowerTalk] Increasing the Inside diameter of a 1 inch outside diame

To: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Increasing the Inside diameter of a 1 inch outside diameter Alum pipe.
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 17:55:15 -0700
The spec numbers on the ASME B36.19 steel pipe tolerances for up to 1.5"NPS
+/- 1/64" for the od.
+20%, -12.5% for the wall thickness

At the spec limits, there is OD/ID interference 1" to 1-1/4". Luck and manufacturers probably making the wall as thin as possible might be why it often works *if* there isn't much flash inside the 1-1/4" from the welding seam. Galvanizing Zn is usually spec'd at oz per sq ft which according to the galvanizer is 0.003" to 0.005 thickness (added to the tolerances) when I've had a tower regalvanized. The process can leave some significant flash and bumps on surface.

I couldn't find a spec for steel pipe ID flash or roundness or straightness all of which can make a telescoping fit difficult. Or it was made in China.

The specs I've seen for PVC pipe are tighter, since it is extruded and thus much more like DOM steel tubing.

Grant KZ1W