Re: [TowerTalk] New product idea

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New product idea
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 10:46:18 -0700
On 8/30/22 6:16 AM, John Simmons wrote:
OK gang, who want to make money on a side business?

Design and build a hall effect replacement for the HyGain rotor position pot. This part is the weak link in the rotor and new factory parts sell for $65. I'm thinking lots of people would pay $100 for a better part.

$100 retail price means the raw material cost should be ~$10-15.

That's pretty challenging.

Hall effect isn't great at sensing 360 degrees, it's more like a reed relay sensing passage of a gear tooth or magnet.  That would be (as described elsewhere) a basically different scheme because they're more "incremental encoders" and then you need a way to index it to zero.

Oddly, a cheap way might be to put a digital compass on the antenna, and then having a microcontroller turn that into voltage (or resistance) for the controller.

Adafruit has a three axis magnetometer for $5. https://www.adafruit.com/product/5579 - it has a I2C interface. Then how to get that data back to the shack. These days, I'd be thinking about WiFi with a Pi-Zero or a Arduino, but some sort of serial interface could also work.

Then, another microcontroller to turn it into a voltage.

You'd have to work out how to deal with "turn past 0 or 360" - with geared pots, the "0-360" range is the middle of the pot range, so you can get -10 degrees or 370 degrees.

Would a simple bang/bang rotator controller deal with that correctly?  I don't know.