Re: [TowerTalk] New product idea

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New product idea
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 09:33:00 -0400

MFJ already have a pulse versions of the HAM/T2X rotators.
However that is a completely different technology and one
can not simply "drop in" a Hall effect or magnetic reed
relay in place of the pot.

The easier update for a pot system is a multi-turn pot
drive from the ring gear.  That probably means a 10 turn
pot with a 20 tooth gear to mate with the 196 turn ring
gear.  If I were going to go to that effort, I would look
at replacing the pot with an optical encoder and removing
the limits entirely. However, an optical encoder/reed
requires an entirely new controller/direction indicator.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV