Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu 2800 issue

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu 2800 issue
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 21:03:28 -0700
I wonder if it is the connector or the pot that is intermittent. A couple of tests that might help are to check the total pot resistance - 500 ohms - if stable that verifies those two connections. Then the stability of the wiper to each end of the pot which can't distinguish between a bad wiper or a bad connector but can between either end wire connection problems. I'd use a classic metered VOM to watch for needle twitch and to put some current into the system.

It takes less than 12v to get motion so a bench power supply can move the rotator for the testing (assuming your rotators are the DC motor versions).

Replacing a pot is a bit tricky and the pot must have enough electrical and mechanical travel, it's not a standard volume control.

Grant KZ1W