[TowerTalk] ground plane problem help needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] ground plane problem help needed
From: Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 22:26:15 -0700
About 4 years ago I picked up 2 bottom sections of what I think were 11 meter ground planes.  The section looks like the bottom section for a HyGain 18AVQ vertical or similar. The only difference is the mounting flange has a plate that holds what looks like about ½" diameter ground radials.  The issue I am having is that I used that mounting section to make a 20 meter vertical.  Easy enough, right? WRONG.  I used mating tubes to make the ¼ wave 20 meter vertical but it resonated at...ready for this.... 39mhz!  Then I grabbed the second one and used it.  Now it resonates at 13.5mhz but shortening the vertical does not bring the frequency up.  I am wondering if perhaps someone (CBer maybe) ran way too much power through them and broke down the dialectic of the plastic (or whatever that is) insulator that isolates the vertical from the mounting bracket and ground.  That is the only explanation I can come up with as to why it is so far off.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix the problem?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY