Re: [TowerTalk] Declination - Does it matter?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Declination - Does it matter?
From: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:17:25 -0500
If you want to know what direction your beams are pointed, true north is the answer.  "Magnetic north" doesn't affect the direction to point your antennas if your goals is to point them directly at the place where you're trying to talk. However, "magnetic north" will affect your compass if you are using a compass to figure out how to set up your towers and all that.  I recommend a different approach:  For the last two iterations of N5OT, I have started by going out to the antenna field on a clear night, and sighting in the North Star. The North Star is less than one degree off of actual north. I eyeball the locations for driving two stakes where, if you line up the two stakes, that line goes toward the North Star.  Then I set all my antennas based on that line.  Google Maps these days can show you when a line is going north, too.  Then if you use the satellite imagery of your property, that will give you the same answer.  That is the answer you want.  Take the compass under advisement but don't use it for this.

Note that there are other, more mystical factors that make it to where a station comes in louder when you are not pointed directly at them.  Things like "skew path" and "aurora" - but they don't change how you should set up your towers and rotators or fixed direction antennas.

73 - Mark N5OT