Re: [TowerTalk] material permeability of a BalUn core

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] material permeability of a BalUn core
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:14:00 -0700
Kostas,

The work you are reading is somewhat out of date, in that Fair-Rite's #31 material did not exist when Jerry was working, and initial permeability is not a useful parameter when understanding common mode chokes that are useful at HF. What matters, for CHOKES, is their resonance and a high value of resistance at resonance.

I suggest that you STUDY my work at k9yc.com/publish.htm. The Ham's Guide is a tutorial on RFI and how chokes work, and the applications note on Transmitting Chokes for160-1M are what you need to study.

73, Jim K9YC