Re: [TowerTalk] OCFD: Should I be able to do better?

To: "'Lux, Jim'" <jim@luxfamily.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OCFD: Should I be able to do better?
From: "Wes Attaway" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 14:23:50 -0500
Here is my 2-cents opinion based on currently using both an OCF and two fan
dipoles.

1. Kevin's available mounting situation may favor an OCF over a true dipole.
It doesn't appear that he can effectively deploy fan dipoles.  It seems that
for this reason he has chosen the OCF design.
2. I have a homebrew OCF that covers 80M to 10M.  It is rarely as effective
as my two 40/20 fan dipoles but it is not a "bad" antenna and actually works
extremely well on 80M.
3. The OCF required a lot of "fiddling" with the lengths of the two sides in
order to get reasonable SWR on several bands.  There is nothing magic about
the old 1/3-2/3 split.  You can vary the split ratio slightly one way or the
other to get the low SWR points near (or close) to where you want them.
4. The OCF does pick up more noise than the dipoles.  However, I have an
extremely low noise environment so the noise is not a big factor for me.
5. Jim's cookbook has some real good info on noise, chokes and antennas.
His choke designs are better than anything you can buy.  It is easy to buy
some cores and wind your own chokes and baluns.
6. I also built and deployed a 12M vertical dipole antenna based on info on
Jim's website.  It works just fine (when the band is open).  It also works
on 10M with slightly higher SWR.
7. I run a TenTec Orion II at 100W and work plenty of DX on all bands
(except 160).

      Wes Attaway (N5WA)
(318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA
Computer/Cellphone Forensics