Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 07:40:19 -0700
Unfortunately, there is some bad info there.  IIRC Brian has updated his coil program several times and the answers are much different with the newer version.  The Cushcraft coil is nowhere near as bad as reported.  Steve's measurement "system" is highly suspect.  Measuring physically large inductors is far from trivial.  For example see: www.hamcom.dk/VNWA/How to measure the resonance frequency and Q of an air coil-rev1.pdf

Another question to be asked is whether higher Q is actually necessary.  My modeling, using AC6LA's wonderful AutoEZ, which allows all kinds of "what ifs", allows the exploration of this.  For example I modeled a 40-meter dipole, 60' above average ground.  I don't know Cushcraft's element design or coil placement but as a guess I placed loading inductors at 50% of the length of each half element.

Using the supplied dimensions, which I have not verified, K6STI's coil program, and my favored ON4AA air-coil inductance calculator, I come up with  ~ +j370 with Q = 285 with Brian's calculator and ~ +j400 with Q =320 with ON4AA's calculator.  Also note that going from an air to fiberglass former makes very little difference in Q, contrary to popular belief.

Placing loading inductors of +j370 at 50% out on each half element and using the resonating function in AutoEZ to adjust the tubing length for resonance at 7.1 MHz I get 22.5 feet per side. By serendipity, for this length and height above this ground, the match is nearly perfect.  Now I setup a variable for Q and incremented it from Q=250 to Q=1000 in steps of 50 and looked at average gain at each step. (Average gain reports the less than perfect results due to losses in the element)

For Q = 250 the average gain was -1.28 dB. For Q = 1000 the average gain was -1.12 dB.  So, for this case, the "gain" from going from a relatively easy to construct coil to a heroic coil is less than 0.2 dB.  Is it worth it?

As always, I standby to be corrected.

Wes  N7WS