Re: [TowerTalk] Lowest loss coax that can be run up a crank up tower

To: Don Solberg <dsolberg8132@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lowest loss coax that can be run up a crank up tower
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 16:03:02 -0800
I use RG-218 coax for my HDX5106.  7/8 inch diameter.
It is a continuous 150 foot length that also takes care
of the run to the shack.  It hangs on an arm at the top
of the tower utilizing a Kellems grip.  The top end protrudes
a few inches above the arm, and has a type N right angle on it.  A
rotor loop made out of Bury Flex connects to this right angle.

When I crank down the tower, the RG-218 just slips thru the loops
on each section and I coil it up manually in big (10 or 15 foot)
circles on the ground as the tower comes down.  It goes up unassisted.

The rotor cable and the MonstIR control cables are also held from the
arm by Kellems grips and are taped to the RG-218 to form a "snake"
as the audio pros call it.

I have been using this configuration for many years and it has
worked flawlessly.

73
Rick N6RK