Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical placement?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical placement?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 10:05:00 -0800
On 11/12/2020 8:30 AM, k7lxc--- via TowerTalk wrote:
Which would be a better solution - mounting an all-band trap vertical on the
ground with assorted radials or on the roof of a 1 story house with assorted
radials? I'm leaning to the roof mount since then the radials are mostly out of
the way of ground traffic.

Hi Steve,

I answered exactly this question several years ago with an extensive modeling study motivated by the work that you and Ward did 20 years ago. These link are to slide decks for talks at Pacificon. The first addresses verticals, the second horizontal antennas.

http://k9yc.com/VerticalHeight.pdf

http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf

This is the link to a piece I wrote for NCJ that addresses both.

http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

The short answer is that on the roof is better, and that the design of some verticals is such that they don't need or benefit from radials.

73, Jim K9YC