Re: [TowerTalk] Tower bracketing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower bracketing
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:32:37 -0700
Al,

Tower makers aren't going to take on the liability risks of providing guidance for house brackets. I do see that Rohn now specifies a minimum of 815 pounds horizontal support force. "design by others".

I did a house bracket in EMA for a TH7DX, a big triband yagi on 20' of Rohn 25 and up 15' on 2" x 3/8 thick wall 6061-T6 tube as the mast. The hinged base was on my back deck so that yielded 7 more feet to the top so it nicely cleared the roof. The mast was Al to minimize the hoist moment load, which needed 3 sheave blocks and help to pivot it up. The block attachment was a forged eyebolt thru the wall below the the house bracket to the inside bracing.

In the attic is best place for your house bracket reinforcement. I nailed a 2x10 across the studs for 6' with all thread holding the house bracket. Then added a 3/4 inch plywood flooring and used two ~ 5 ft long steel angle irons bolted/lagged between the all thread and the plywood. IIRC I had to cut the ply to 2x8' to get them into the attic so staggered 3 pieces across 12' of joists.

The idea is an eve end of a house is not structural and it is held only by stud top and bottom toe nails. It's not too hard to pull it out. So a membrane (3/4 plywood) structurally nailed (shear wall nail pattern) on the structural joists can better transfer the load to the house structure.

Attaching to the floor membrane in finished space is better structurally, but usually not XYL survivable.

Maybe overkill back yard engineering, but this rig survived 2 major hurricanes, local winds in excess of 80mph.

Unbelievable luck, the buyer was a ham unknown to me and required the antenna be left intact.

Grant KZ1W