Re: [TowerTalk] Homemade portable mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homemade portable mast
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 19:19:56 -0700
On 8/29/2019 4:22 PM, Keith Dutson wrote:
I doubt the aluminum poles will support that beam.  I tried to put up a Force
12 C3 at 20 feet for field day, but the poles had too much flex and bent like a
wet noodle.

How high were you trying to go? How did you support the mast? For years, we've used the Al mast sections with a tripod fitting to rig a C3SS at 30 ft or so for FD, 7QP, CQP. Photos in k9yc.com/7QP.pdf Once in the air, we guy it. W6GJB found a vendor selling the tripod fittings at Dayton one year. As I recall, this was one of the tricks that K7JA showed in talk at Visalia or Pacificon that was a collection of good ideas. W6GJB is a pilot, and he found some real neat fittings that can be driven into almost any ground to tie down small aircraft. I think google for tiedown or tydown.

73, Jim K9YC