Re: [TowerTalk] Feedline for a new tower

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Feedline for a new tower
From: Dick Williams <richardk8ztt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 22:56:26 -0700
Jim,

I certainly know there are may choices to choose from when buying coax;
unfortunately, cost is a factor that most amateurs have to deal with.  I
took a look at your QRZ.com page, and I would be willing to bet that Matt
is not in the same league as you and I.  He is erecting one 70 ft tower
with a HF beam, and his total coax run is 100ft.  I hardly doubt he is
going to invest in 7/8" hard line for such a run.

Yes, I would have liked to have used 7/8" hard line for my runs, but it was
just a tad bit over my budget for coax (my towers and antennas ended up
eating the lion's share of my allotted investment in amateur radio).    So,
the most I could afford was LM-600; and I can't complain about it.

Last spring my 80 ft tower with a full size 3 element 30M beam failed at
the 70ft level, and I had to do a bit of repair work.  Since the antenna
had been up for many years, I changed out the 90 ft run of LMR-400 to the
base of the tower with 400 Max.  In retrospect, I think I would recommend
Matt use the 400 Max.

Dick, K8ZTT