Re: [TowerTalk] 80 M 4 SQUARE MODELING

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 M 4 SQUARE MODELING
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 19:08:17 -0400
Agreed - to an extent.... I don't think the programs are THAT sensitive ... at least that hasn't been my experience re interaction modeling. I did lots of it for the tower with the antennas to see the impact of the guys - wasn't overly critical in making changes and I could pretty readily see the results. Ended up with the fact that one does not need to have full length philly - about 40% of the length, of course at the tower, was enough to reduce the interaction to less than 1.5 db on the FB (which is the only thing it effects unless REALLY severe)... I made them 50% long as the manufacturer says you can't do less than 50% without upsizing.

So of course one can just build it - and see. As I had said 'anecdotal' results are, at least for me, taken with a very large grain of salt... I've seen too many reports of "best antenna ever" for what obviously wouldn't come close to that claim - its all relative. ALL relative... that said the FB is THE variable one looks to for knowing if interaction is in play - not the gain or the SWR - if they are impacted you REALLY have problems ... and the one comment here, saying he routinely sees FB values in the 20's for his tower supported one, would say his is working just fine thank you very much!

that stated the results were disconcerting enough for me to decide not to do it. Besides in my case if the published data re ground characteristics is correct, poor in this area, then my rotary dipole at just over 1/2 wl on 80 equals or beats a 4 sq a good part of the time. So I just put it back up. If one WERE going to just do it - I'd have a plan in place on how to mitigate it, if indeed it is there .

My guess, Bill, is that your tower w/ antennas will look like, easily, a 120'+ tower ...

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: Kenneth Goodwin