Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antennas Only For Field Day

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antennas Only For Field Day
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 14:29:15 -0700
On 7/5/17 1:29 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
Nothing to level.  It's not a contest :-)  74

Agreed...
I'd rather work the unsure and give them the pleasure of an easy contact. When I operated in the W6VIO (JPL)/W6UE (Caltech) stations for FD in years past, it was nice to be the one who was easy to work for all the clearly inexperienced ops for whom this was probably their first "busy" weekend. Sure, there's a bit of a pileup, but I'm not going to rain on their parade when they ask questions, or when I ask for a repeat of the exchange, or, gosh, they're a dupe (because someone else at their station worked us 12 hours earlier).

But QST does publish points, and some people do consider it a contest.

It's only a quasi emergency drill - if you're operating in the field, you can't start setting up too early.

But I see it more as a marketing opportunity for ham radio.

Tom W7WHY

On Jul 5, 2017 11:07 AM, "Russ Dearmore via TowerTalk" <