Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Terminations

To: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>, Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Terminations
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:58:49 -0800
There are many choices - big grips, Spelter sockets, taper sockets, Nicopress sleeves, swaged fittings, and wire rope clips (probably the worst of the foregoing). Each has to be properly installed to attain the predicted percent of break strength for the wire rope.

What is sold to the utilities industry probably performs as advertised. So if 90% of break strength is ok instead of 100% with big grips then use them. If they are re-useable then that is a plus over grips. Perhaps it is also easier to adjust the cable length, but I've never used them. Besides the internal taper+sleeve holding the wire rope, I think the OD taper is designed to shed heavy icing, which sliding down long guys can unwrap grips if they are not properly prepped.

lots to learn from the Crosby catalog, download http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/catalog/catalog-download/

Some technical info on these dead ends would be nice to have.

Grant KZ1W