Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 16:39:22 -0500

Someone asked for a method of attaching grounds to a steel tower when a SS hose clamp is not too good due to shape of tower leg. I think maybe it was a galvanized tower but don't recall for sure. Don't stainless steel and galvanize play well together (why you try SS hose clamps in the first place.) How about drilling a hole in the leg and bolting on a piece of stainless steel using SS fasteners. Then a second hole in the SS piece can be used to attach the copper which plays nice with the SS.

Alternatively with proper safety precautions (especially if galvanized tower leg) you could weld a piece of SS to the steel tower leg and then connect the copper ground to the SS piece. I find welding SS other steels pretty easy, especially if using SS wire in a M IG or SS stick electrodes.

Any big negatives overlooked? I'm aware you could mess up welding the leg but I believe properly done it would not be a problem.

Comments?

Patrick NJ5G