Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:48:10 -0700
On 4/24/14, 9:21 PM, Brian Amos wrote:
Thanks for the advice.  I think my best course will be to test the
soil conductivity.  The only time we have lightening here is during
the summer storms; the soil is usually damp from the sprinklers all
summer so it's probably better with no concrete.  Does anyone know the
conductivity of concrete offhand? I guess I could always ask google,
although it probably depends on the aggregate.  Local aggregate has a
pretty high iron content and I expect would conduct fairly well,
unless the paste is a good insulator.

concrete is generally higher conductivity than soil:
1) it's hygroscopic so it has higher moisture content
2) it doesn't have voids like soil does (between the grains)

Figure 10-50 mS/meter (viz 5 mS/m for "average soil" and 20 mS/m for "good soil")