Re: [TowerTalk] Slipp-Nott

To: Dino Darling <dino@kx6d.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slipp-Nott
From: John Becker <johnb3030@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:28:37 -0600
Dino,

Sorry, but I totally disagree. Perhaps we have a misunderstanding of terminology here? Let's take it from the top and go through the entire scenario.

The U-bolts are on the top casting of the rotor. They hold together the two pieces of the rotor's mast clamp. The U-bolts themselves do not slip. But if they aren't tight enough (or strong enough to withstand being tightened enough), the mast can slip in the rotor.

The Slipp-Nott is mounted on the mast above the rotor. It is designed to do a much better job of gripping the mast than does the rotor's mast clamp. It does this by having much more surface area in contact with the mast than does the rotor's mast clamp. It also is coated with a material intended to increase the coefficient of friction between the mast and the Slipp-Nott.

Up to this point, this is a great concept. But consider what happens next. The Slipp-Nott has a great grip on the mast. The rotor has a not-so-great grip on the mast. To be effective, the Slipp-Nott needs to be solidly connected to the rotor, so that there is no rotation of the Slipp-Nott relative to the rotor.

How do they do this? They have a pair of thick brackets connecting the Slipp-Nott to the rotor. The brackets are attached to the Slipp-Nott by a pair of 3/8-16 bolts. The brackets are attached to the rotor by the Rotor's U-bolts. In the case of the HAM series rotors, these U-bolts are 1/4-20.

Assume the clamping portion of the Slip-Nott is working as intended, that is there is no slippage between the mast and the Slipp-Nott clamp. Now you get a high wind condition, sufficient to cause the mast to try to rotate. If it slips at all in the rotor clamp, which we know it has done in the past or we wouldn't be adding the Slipp-Nott, the only thing limiting this slippage is the strength of the brackets connecting the Slipp-Nott clamp to the rotor top casting. And what is now the weak link in this chain? The strength of the 1/4-20 rotor U-bolts which are holding these brackets to the rotor top casting! And as I said, if this U-bolt fails, which is what happened to me, you have gone from the annoyance of an antenna which is misaligned with the rotor to the big problem of an antenna which is now free-wheeling in the wind.

I have a couple of other comments, so please read on.

After the experiment I reported on here a couple of months back, where I determined that the 1/4-20 U-bolts just aren't strong enough to prevent mast slippage, I came up with a different solution which I hope will prove to be effective over time. I bought a 3 1/2" galvanized saddle clamp from Cycle 24 Antennas, their part #CL3500. http://www.cycle-24.com/u-bolt-saddle-clamps/u-bolt-saddle-clamps-for-3-5-inch-tubing/ This clamp is large enough to go around the entire mast clamp assembly on the upper casting of a HAM series rotor. It provides much additional clamping force on the mast without modifying the basic design of the clamp.

Time will tell whether this is the solution I was looking for. Alternatively, I could have drilled and pinned the assembly, but I didn't want to need to take it down and I didn't think it was advisable to try to do it at the top of the tower.

I know there are those who maintain that a HAM series rotor is too small for a KT-34XA. All I can say is that I've been using this combination for over 32 years and have never experiences a rotor failure. The only problem I have had is this occasional mast slippage. And until about 10 years ago, the mast had NEVER slipped, I and have belatedly figured out why that is.

When I first put up my tower in 1970, I was only two years out of college, I had just bought a house and I had just gotten married. In other words, I had limited funds to invest in an antenna system. I put up a TH6-DXX with the HAM series rotor, and used a somewhat rusty section of 1 1/2" (~2" OD) water pipe for a mast. The antenna was only 2 feet above the thrust bearing, so I didn't think I needed anything better for a mast. In 1981, I replaced the TH6-DXX with the KT-34XA, but continued to use the rusty mast. I never had a slippage problem until I replaced the rusty mast with a shiny new one about 10 years ago, so the KT-34XA had been up on the rusty mast for 22 years without slippage. I have come to the conclusion that the rusty mast was providing much more friction to the mast clamp than I got with the smooth and shiny replacement.

Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings to all TowerTalkers!

73,

John, K9MM

Dino Darling wrote:
Its just the opposite. Its intended to transfer the force FROM the
slipping u-bolts TO the Slipp-Nott.

Dino - KX6D