Re: [TowerTalk] Foam cables and velocity factor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Foam cables and velocity factor
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:27:53 -0600
Tom,

Once you explained how to calculate the Velocity Factor, I went "duh, I
should have know that". Thanks for the refresher.

This evening I tested the inverted vee with the new RG-8x 1/2 wavelength
feedline attached. Boy, the numbers really changed! They are so different I
can hardly believe the only thing I changed was the coax!

I uploaded the new PDF charts to the http://chudek.aberon.net website and
labeled them "160m-2". All 7 charts are available in the 160m folder, for
anyone interested.

I am a true believer now! These new numbers paint quite a different picture
of this antenna. In brief, instead of a minimum vswr at 1830 KHz, the
analyzer is showing a vswr maximum. The other measurements have drastically
changed too. For example, the impedance and resistance dropped from 43 to
about 2.3 ohms. Thinking about this for a moment, these numbers make sense.
If I am feeding a 2.3 ohm antenna with 50 ohm coax, I should have a pretty
high vswr.

It appears my original random chunk of Belden 8214 was a pretty good
impedance transformer after all! I know a 160 meter dipole or inverted vee
at 70 feet is a significant compromise. Next summer I will look into shunt
feeding the tower. Right now I have several other antennas that need my
attention.

Everyone, thanks for the help and advice. Additional comments are always
welcome!

73 de Bob - K0RC