[TowerTalk] Vertical on 80

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical on 80
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:13:38 -0600
I'm sure either the 18AVT or the Titanex verticals
work very well.  They are also EXPENSIVE.

Do you have any trees?  I have an 80M wire vertical
(one half of a Bow Tie configuration) hanging from a
tree branch.

If not, do you have a tower and beam?
A 40 to 60 ft tower top loaded by a Yagi
can be shunt fed or used as an elevated GP
(see my article in JUNE 1994 QST).

A 40 ft top loaded vertical is very nearly as effective
as a full size vertical and can be easily build using
2 inch diameter tubing (with couplers) and some
top hat wires.

Tom  N4KG

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:39:08 +0100 "Hendrik Van Kets"
<Hendrik.Van.Kets@pandora.be> writes:

> I would like to know the opinion of the readers of Towertalk. After
> over 20
> years the wooden scaffolding pole which supported my 80 meter
> vertical has
> broken off during a windstorm. It was rotten and the woodpeckers had
> already
> had a go on it. I actually saw it break off and fall 6ft from my
> gardeners
> car ! To make the correct quarter wave lenght I had added an
> aluminum tube
> and a fairly long CB mobile whip. A tuner at the base and a rather
> extensive
> buried ground system completed this aerial.
> As a replacement I have considered the unguyed Heavy Duty 80 m
> Titanex or
> the HyGain HyTower, now known as AV-18HT.
> Does any reader have experience with either? Or is there a sensible
> alternative for this very rainy country where winds of 100 mph are a
> problem?
> Thanks and a Merry Christmas.73 de "Doc" ON4IZ
>

> AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading
> tables,
> foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at
> the
> AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com
>
> -----

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!