[TowerTalk] Ballon-held Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ballon-held Vertical
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:15:34 -0500
> Does anyone have any information on 5/8-wavelength verticals for 160
> meters?  [about 324 ft. high]

I have a 318 foot insulated tower for 160 meters that I can use as a
vertical. It is clearly not as good as my 200 foot tall vertical, except
for long distances during the daytime when it might be a dB or so
better. For DX, the taller tower is never better than the 200 footer.
Your results may vary.

You can see my tall tower and read some discussion of
comparisons of various transmitting antennas at w8ji.com under
"transmitting antennas".

W8LRL had a balloon vertical and went to town on an errand. Wal
said he couldn't see his ballon on the way back, and said he was a
bit worried by that.

When Wal went in the house, all his ham gear was smouldering
and his headphones were laying on the desk melted. Even the
window curtains were gone. His balloon blew into a power line
across the road from his house.

Lucky that Wal was gone! Whatever you do, make sure the
antenna can't get you into trouble. Tether it with a safety line and
have fun.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,