Re: Topband: HEBA antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: HEBA antenna
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 13:19:32 -0700
Similarly, to the AM broadcaster, "Broadband" simply means sufficient
bandwidth to keep the transmitter happy and avoid distortion of an
IBOC digital signal.  That is far more narrow than even a "50 KHz
under 1.5:1" for amateurs on 160.

Great points, Joe. I grew up a mile or two from a 5kW DA-N on 930 kHz, and as a college student worked at the station. One summer, I helped the chief engineer silver-solder new radials to new ground screens for the 4-tower array. The bandwidth issue jumped out at me as I drove through one of their nulls -- where the carrier cancelled, the sidebands didn't.

73, Jim K9YC