Re: Topband: 9M2AX finally after 15 years

To: "'David Raymond'" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>, <topband@contesting.com>, "'Steve Babcock'" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: 9M2AX finally after 15 years
From: John Kaufmann via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:18:01 -0500
Congratulations Steve for this epic contact!  As already pointed out, much of
the difficulty is the very high level of QRN on Ross's end.  He gets almost
daily thunderstorms.  My experience coincides with what Dave, W0FLS, said.  The
most favorable conditions to work 9M2AX are around the equinoxes.  Ross has
said his noise level is lowest then.

After 20 years of chasing Ross, I finally worked him right around our spring
equinox on March 23, 2007.  From here in W1, the path is a skewed path to the
SE, and that path seems to exist (sporadically) only during low sunspot years.
At best, it's a very marginal and difficult path.  I had been hearing 9M2AX
throughout that month just after my sunset but he was never able to pull me
through.  Finally we got enhanced propagation on March 23 just a few minutes
after my sunset and a few minutes before his sunrise.  There were signal bursts
almost like meteor scatter pings.  We were able to exchange callsigns and
signal reports before he quickly disappeared.  I continued to hear Ross until
the first week in April, after which we no longer had any common darkness.

It's good to hear that Ross is active again after several years off the low
bands.  It takes a lot of persistence on his end to listen to QRNNN every day
and make only an occasional contact.

73, John W1FV