Re: Topband: Remotes 160 and other bands

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Remotes 160 and other bands
From: Bob Kile <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 05:07:42 +0000
The topic of remotes has been covered on this channel as much as FT8. In reality it is the demise of DXCC Award that is the issue.

I for one operate a private remote along with several others and they are not for hire. :) Two years ago as part of the K0RF multi-multi team we operated remotely from at least 4 states connected to Chuck's  station in Colorado. The rules are very specific for contests but not quite so on the DXer side. What is going on is legal in FCC rules and I have no squabble except when I go to a Topband dinner and have some DXCC notable claim 290 countries from a city lot.. Bull Shit. If you try to pull that in front of me I will call your bluff.

In CQ160CW test I operated portable from the Texas Gulf coast. Did I sign portable /5? No is the answer as the exchange was RST plus State. Legal? Yes under FCC rules.

Remote may be the only way some guys can get on the air. They maybe in senior living environments or whatever. In Las Vegas where an acre of residential land will go for $1million and the average lot size for single family home is the footprint of the home plus 5ft on each side. I chose a remote rather walking around with 2 meter handheld or living in a crime infected dump. Besides the benefits of 20dB noise level improvement was worth it for my hobby experience.

I have spent the better part of twenty years building and operating my remote with my goal of working _WAZ 160 from a single location_. I may very well be dead before that happens but I keep trying.

Old School you say. Yes and proud of it!

73

Bob W7RH

--
W7RH DM35OJ

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say
the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little. George Carlin