Topband: VK/ZLs in the CQWW CW 160?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: VK/ZLs in the CQWW CW 160?
From: Tom VK2CCC <vk2ccc@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:16:35 +1100
"Didn't hear any VKs or ZLs during the contest; were any of you on??"

Well, I worked from a small city lot in Sydney, running QRP.

Inverted L for TX with a vertical section being approx. 70 ft, terminated
vertical Flag 5m x 8m and a passive Moebius loop for RX. TX antenna radials
temporary laid down and crossing neighbouring driveways at several places.

Great propagation to US during the first VK night. There were many great NA
signals on the band - ND7K, W8KA, K2KW, K3ZM, K8LX, K1LT, K3LR, K7NJ,
NA7TB, just to mention a few. Working QRP from VK on 160m is not trivial.
My only NA QSO was K1LT. Great ears!

The propagation to NA lasted surprisingly long, however not for me as the
whole band was completely wiped out by a broadband interference. Having
dedicated RX antennas
did not help. Taken a walk round the block with a portable AM radio,
however no obvious clues.

The first VK morning to EU had a phenomenal propagation that only lasted
for some 20 minutes at my QTH. I do not remember hearing such impressive
signals on 160m. Ever. Even when working as VK9LL from Lord Howe years ago.
Very happy having worked LY4A for my best DX in this contest. All in all 10
QRP QSOs this time from VK.

Thank you all for making this such a great contest!

Tomas VK2CCC

Message: 5