Re: Topband: Big Stew - A Wipe-out Down Under/W8UVZ SK

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Big Stew - A Wipe-out Down Under/W8UVZ SK
From: Steve Ireland <stevevk6vz@tpg.com.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 12:38:27 +0800
Happy New Year topbanders!

As my cobber Phil VK6GX so aptly put it the Big Stew was a wipe-out down under.

To continue to look at it in surfing parlance, it could be said that the
propagation surf never got up beyond ankle height!

My only QSO was Ron VK3IO on Sunday evening here.  He was so weak that I
thought he was a North American signal.

Still Ron is 2,500 km or so away, which is a big hop even for a kangaroo. I
probably would have worked Tree on the first night too if I hadn’t spent the
previous evening carousing at the local jazz club.

On a slightly more serious note, I was sad to hear of the passing of George,
W8UVZ.  Back in the late 1990s, George visited here a couple of times, en route
to Christmas Island with Charlie W0YG and Jerry WB9Z and their wives.

George spent time with my young family, who enjoyed his company. He was such a
friendly, polite and clever man – and would always point out, gently but
firmly, to the DXpeditions who borrowed the Battle Creek antennas from him (and
George K8GG) that there were radio amateurs in Australia who spent a lot of
time digging around in their summer noise for North American  and European
stations on 160m.

His expectation therefore was that the DXpeditions would try and dig them out
of the noise in return.

Thanks to George’s efforts, Mike VK6HD (SK) and I worked at least 20 countries
on 160m that we would have had no chance of being heard in the pile-up without
George’s urgings for them to listen for us.

Bless him. He will be missed very much. I reckon George and Mike may be having
a beer together somewhere in the ether.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ