Re: Topband: Timor Leste report #10

To: "Dietmar Kasper" <dl3dxx@gmx.de>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Timor Leste report #10
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 00:04:05 -0500
Dietmar,
FT8: I share your understanding of the DXCC rules. Somebody must be there and do something to initiate the contact. That is how I see it, but realistically, if you can not tell the difference, how do you police it? While I don't agree with automated FT8 operation, at least the those using it today are honest about it. Invalidating their QSO-s will mean that in the future they will not declare when they are automated. I prefer honesty over perfection.

On CW I use the same standard as you have described. I take a note of where I am not sure and later use that when receiving correction requests. If it is not on my "doubtful" list, and it is just one letter off, and everything else matches, it is probably a legit request. But, I received a log correction request, which had everything right and only one letter off, I corrected the call, and next day the real "owner" complained that his QSO has disappeared.  Many 160 m contacts are marginal and we have to work hard at them. That is why it is more fun than FT8!
TKS for your efforts and 73,
George,
AA7JV
K8R and KH8/AA7JV