Re: Topband: Timor Leste report #8

To: Dietmar Kasper <dl3dxx@gmx.de>, "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Timor Leste report #8
From: Paul Dulaff via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:42:43 -0500
Hi Dietmar

Was able to make a CW contact with ZL1AZ at his SS,  0715 UTC Thursday. I am in Northern New Jersey so an 8900 mile 2 way QSO to New Zealand. The propagation is there. Just need to get thru the noise (basically). I have a strong bias toward CW and only resort to FT8 when the DX station makes that the mode. The DX station controls the modes used for contacts so I only use FT8 when the DX contact leaves no other options. I only run 100 watts to a short inverted L now on 160 but will be in better shape with 1 KW and better antenna in the future as I see the band can be worked for much DX on CW with the right setup.

Thanks for your efforts.

Paul - W2NMI