Topband: Timor Leste report 2

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Timor Leste report 2
From: Dietmar Kasper <dl3dxx@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 00:36:02 +0100
Next Timor Leste report
some team members were unhappy with topband results and with continuous bad
propagation
the pressure to me to accept working FT8 has been getting immense. We had a
serious
discussion about so I gave up finally and let the daemon out of the box of
Pandora.
FT mode in equatorial noise seems not to be the big game changer. Some new
stations
came into the log, even some US we did not have before but I would say most of
the stations
showed up in that mode we had already worked in CW. Lot of Japan.
Our different point of view concerning resulted in a stop of 160m operation
around 12z.
The violent discussion ended with the decission to continue in CW but to allow
FT8
if no CW contacts are possible for a while. Sorry that we missed some US that
way.
Well, we now have data we can analyze later to see what FT mode can and what
not.

Propagation to US have been even better as the day before. THe evening started
with
a heavy 30min rain shower setting the property under water. Short after sunset
the
band was open to all over US with the exception of the North East.
After 13z the band faded and again we were able to see it in reversebeacon.net
checking wa7lnw. new spotter ka7oei and once w6yx added to the list.

Almost no US west coast although I believed in advance that would be the easier
path
to US. If you west coast ops stand up at your sunrise you will miss that
country.

During night wind brought huge waves from the ocean. The 160m matchbox got
under water
and started arcing, so operation had to be stopped. Fortunately the Titanex
vertical
itself resisted the waves so operation was continued.
I felt, that the big man ruling the propagation must have been unhappy about FT
operation :-)

However Europe propagation is the big problem of the last few days. Almost no
skimmer
spots from Europe, just some deserving callers continued to call us night after
night.
Hope for the big improvement of propagation.

73 more later
DL3DXX