Re: Topband: KH8 Demand on TB

To: zemurtosa@mail.telepac.pt, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: KH8 Demand on TB
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 15:59:52 -0400
Jose,
Will get something going, either from Ofu Island (part of the Manua group) or from the main island of American Samoa (Tutuila Island).

The problem for any low band operation from the main island of American Samoa is geography. Only the south side of the the island is easily accessible, with very steep mountains to the north blocking the NA and EU directions. There are a couple of mountain tops that recent DXpeds used, but these places have no room for large antennas and are very noisy with a lot of MW, TV, FM, cell and other sites. I don't think anybody ever operated from the Manua Islands, as they are pretty remote, but they have much better locations for the low bands. (I have to go there to do survey for a dive operation.) On Ofu Island we may be able to set up on the beach on the north shore, which is open enough to the north to give us a chance to work EU on 160 meters. 80 should be easier. I know that conditions are poor but we got power and will use the salt-water for ground. Noise should not be a problem. Weather may be, however. As a fallback, I have also scouted out a beach on the north shore of the main island (Tutuila) and got permission form the land-owner, but that location is less open to the NE and the southern part of EU. If we have to set up there, that would be towards the end of November.
I will post when we know for sure that we can set up on Ofu.
Fingers crossed!
73,
George,
AA7JV