Topband: Pre-Stew/LBJ in VK6

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Pre-Stew/LBJ in VK6
From: Phil Hartwell via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:27:03 +0800
G'day folks,

It's uncanny how often the various Stew events coincide with poor propagation and/or severe QRN. Propagation between VK6 and stateside has been very good recently, with the exception of last weekend, when it was pretty dismal. Throw in the first significant thunderstorm activity for several months, which made it really tough going.

I only managed 13 QSO's, all stateside and some of those with great difficulty. Propagation seemed to favour the central east and northern east coast, across to the Pacific NW, not much from southern states.No EU's heard at my SR and no JA's either.

I could hear many weak stateside stations from shortly before my SS, but the heavy QRN made QSO's with most impossible. Many peaked up briefly, a few, long enough to make it into my log.Thanks to those who persevered with me. Pat, K9RV was the best signal, I heard him and Tree, K7RAT,all evening long,but all signals faded out long before the end of the contest and west coast SR.There were a few quite good signals, that despite repeated attempts, could not hear me, possibly local QRM or RX antennas facing away from me?

At least I made one north east coast stations day, as he emailed me, saying he was amazed I heard him and I was his furthest 160m DX ever. That contact made battling my QRN worthwhile!

Fingers crossed that our southern hemisphere summer QRN, will take a break for the Big Stew this year. Don't forget to listen in my direction, for some big points, as Perth is a long way from everywhere!

73, Phil VK6GX.

www.avg.com