Re: Topband: E51D and OHQP

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: E51D and OHQP
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 22:28:19 -0700
On 8/24/2023 3:35 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
And conversely (not that I'm an expert topbander), it might be true that a good DX antenna is more than *adequate* for close in contacts in most situations.

It IS true that a dipole up a half-wave is down only a few dB at NVIS angles. So yes, higher is almost always better until it starts lobing.

Few of us mere mortals can get a topband antenna higher than a quarter wave. I had one for a couple of years after I moved here, at qbout 120 ft in my redwoods. In hundreds of comparisons. my 100 ft Tee vertical over lousy ground almost always beat it.

The first three hours of topband contests are in daylight here, and the Tee can consistently work good stations out to 800 miles. That horizontal antenna never even got a QRZ?

73, Jim K9YC