Topband: 160 ain't dead yet.

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 ain't dead yet.
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 19:04:08 -0500
Amazing 10 and 15 meters in ARRL DX. Also...

2340Z 22 Feb 2023.  G3YRO heard at 1.827.0 and copied call 339. Called but
no joy. He might have heard me, but no two-way. No QRN, blizzard in most of
US.

We just assume that 160 is *dead* when 10 is wide open. 160 ain't dead, but
not sure what it is. This will be the first sunspot max, when we have
worldwide RBN, the internet, and lots of rigs with K3 level RX performance.

We shall see.

Now's when a few dB makes a big difference.

In the meantime I have to get my 20-6m stuff working.

Is this one going to be like 1958?

Back then we LITERALLY worked Los Angeles CA from Columbus, OH on 10m with
a 75A3, & Johnson Ranger loaded into a 2 foot salty wet noodle. That was
after using radiator, bed springs, sink trap, a metal door and a copper
window screen as an antenna. School buddy's dad had a ham station, my first
exposure to ham radio. I was hooked. Probably was the power cord radiating,
but we didn't know that and it was great fun. (It did dry up the noodle.)

Anyhow, we need to see what MF propagation *really* is at solar max.

73, Guy K2AV