Re: Topband: RDC TL8AA

To: topband@contesting.com, alfeohjt@tin.it
Subject: Re: Topband: RDC TL8AA
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 11:35:40 -0800
Hello Alfredo,

The MOST IMPORTANT things to know about propagation on 160M are:

1) Propagation on 160M has a strong peak for 30-45 minutes on the DAYLIGHT side of sunrise and sunset. The peak lasts about one hour on 80M and 2 hours on 40M. I suspect that it is also present on 30M.

2) Propagation on 160M often acts very much like the sun peeking through clouds drifting overhead.

3) Experienced DXpeditioners have learned that very strong propagation on 160M usually happens on only one or two nights of a 2-week expedition, so it is critical to be on the air through the hours of darkness and for that 30-45 minutes of daylight on both sides. AA7JV thought this was so important that he developed a transmitting diplexer and RX antenna filters so that his trips could be simultaneously active on both CW and FT8 during these hours every day.

73, Jim K9YC