Re: Topband: Condx 160m in EU last night

To: "'Andree DL8LAS'" <dl8las@aol.com>, "'topband reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Condx 160m in EU last night
From: <ws6x.ars@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 09:38:40 -0500
Even after 35+ years of doing the Topband dance, I am still "surprised" at how
selective propagation can seem to be. Yes, I know all about S/N on each end of
the path, etc., etc. But when Andy speaks of working 40 NA, I am surprised.
During that same timeframe here in rural VA, I heard ONLY 1 EU station. With
deep, rapid QSB, G3PQA was peaking S9, well above my noise floor.
I've seen this play out over and over in intriguing ways. There have been a few
times when the pair of G3s were spotted, but I had zero copy on YRO, yet Q5
copy on PQA.
Another example is DL8LAS (sorry Andy). While he seems to be working the world
with ease, there have been so many times when all of EU was boiling in, but no
copy on Andy. Occasionally the opposite is true. A JA, VK or EU station is
coming in beautifully, but I can't work them to save my life.
After two major downsizings since the move to VA in 2014, I suppose any sane
person would have (should have?) relegated TB to a fond memory. However, it is
these surprise moments that keep me intently glued to the radio, sifting
through the noise and static.
To all you TB-ers who have managed to pull my signal out of the noise... Thank
you!
Jim - WS6X