Re: Topband: Skirted vertical antennas for MF broadcast

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Skirted vertical antennas for MF broadcast
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:18:35 -0700
I think the disc-cone is a close relative. There is one of these on the bow of the Iowa BB in Long Beach. During a tour by W6HB, I was told they would have 25+ full duplex TTY circuits open at one time on this and 4 whip antennas mounted on the superstructure.

Another piece of battleship antenna trivia is how they patterned antennas without any of the computer techniques now available. They made about an 8ft long fully detailed model in brass and excited antennas under test at UHF+.

Grant KZ1W