Re: Topband: Array of MiniWhips?

To: Ashraf Chaabane <ash.kf5eyy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Array of MiniWhips?
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:57:35 +0000
Hello Ash,
   It depends on how complex an array you want to build  as to whether these
amps would work OK. Two or three elements might work fine.
      There are several things that concern me about these amps. I do not have
the time to test them here however.
    First there is no way to make sure the gain would be equal between several
amps as the gain in these amps is pretty well
defendant on the semiconductor gain parameters and operating currents.
    Secondly there is no protection against static discharges on the elements.
Or induced currents in the feedline for that matter. If you are near any winter
storms or lightning events
I don't think the amps would survive.
    The third item is that the output impedance of this amp is just a few ohms
due to transistor operating current, transistor  Beta, and Rb parameters, plus
more and each amp would likely be different causing 2 things. One is gain
change and the other is driving a coaxial cable off the design impedance will
cause extra phase shifts not intended. Yes, I know if one end of a coax is
terminated there is supposed to be no unintended phase shifts however I have
found with typical RG-6 coax cables, impedance tolerances, and typical matching
transformers etc it is best to match coax impedance at both ends which has
produced much better results and predictable results here. To fix this would
require the amp to have a 75 ohm output impedance.
    The last item is, it is my belief that this amp would not have a very high
second order IMD capability and if you were too close to any broadcast band
high power stations it could be a problem.
   Lee  K7TJR  OR