Re: Topband: LU8DPM and QRN

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>, "'slong5816@gmail.com'" <slong5816@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: LU8DPM and QRN
From: W3HKK@roadrunner.com
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 18:47:46 +0000
Appreciate your comments Phil.

What we hear/see at one end can be very different at the other end of
a qso, no doubt. And dits hard to tell. from afar.

DPM is usually heard very well here in Ohio during 160m contests,
sometimes pounding in. QRN here is usually nonexistant on TB in DEC-
JAN and the LU multiplier is a very tasty morsel.

Sometimes in the contests I work Mario on 1-2 calls. Other times I
call my head off and he comes back to no one and keeps CQing. Pounding
in! Its hard for us to comprehend.

Your thought that he has issues with Amazon rainforest QRN opened my
eyes. I hadnt thought that QRN from so far away was an issue in
Argentina. But he is listening right over the Amazon with a
directional antenna. Now the distance from Manaus to BA is 2200 miles.
which seems a bit far for lightning induced QRN. But Im not clear how
far typical lightning QRN propagates, and the Amazon may well be a
unique region due to its size. I know QRN from the southeastern US/FL
can be prominent here at times. But not overpowering.

You have better perspective from there in VK....a vast country, with
its' own a tropical regions.

thanks for clarifying.

Bob