Re: Topband: Poor Propagation or Noise?

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: Poor Propagation or Noise?
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:28:09 -0500
Hi Roger,

If you go to

  https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php?map=30

and have a look at the lightning situation here, it will give you an idea
what the omni antennas for RBN nodes are putting up against. Also what
stations without directional listening antennas are putting up with.

So far since summer 2021, in the eastern US, there has been no pause in
lightning QRN for winter. I remember when a teen that the QRN vanished in
the fall and did not reappear until spring. Winter was
noise-quiet, other than LORAN on 160. No more.

We are at the point of lightning, tornados, and high levels of QRN
year-round.

Blitzortung shows you what is going on lightning-wise around here. This
winter's speciality is lightning hundred or two hundred miles off the
coast, over the Gulf Stream, where one of these now frequent high velocity
cold fronts tries to bully out that rising Gulf Stream air. Once we are in
darkness, that stuff might as well be in our backyard. The noise follows
the sunset as it wanders west.

73, Guy K2AV