Re: Topband: K9YC's comments on radials

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9YC's comments on radials
From: W3HKK@roadrunner.com
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 16:20:42 +0000
I can only echo Jim's comments about mechanical issues with very thin
wire. I use aluminum fence wire #17 guage, and have to coil/uncoil my
radials for the mowing season. This wire works fine but tends to kink
- and breaks fairly easily when uncoiling. Once Ive used up my supply,
I'll be going back to jacketed stranded copper wire. Its much easier
to use.

For those who lay down aluminum radials of #17 or thinner, and leave
it on the surface of the ground, there probably wouldnt be much of an
issue.

Im not so sure about buried aluminum of the lighter guages due to
corrosion.

My surface aluminum radials are now 5-7 years old and holding up fine
other than the kinking/breaking issue. I take it nice and easy when
coiling/uncoiling.