Re: Topband: Region One stations below 1810 kHz

To: Henk Remijn PA5KT <pa5kt@remijn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Region One stations below 1810 kHz
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 10:07:34 -0500
Just my .02 on this one.

The reader and especially the contest organizer not required to even
consider my opinion.

In a way it's like the ARRL's DX window in the ARRL160 used to be. It
was kept in there for years past its usefulness, especially since in all of
the later ARRL160's, the vast, vast majority of EU DX called CQ elsewhere
than 30-35, even when 30-35 was fairly clear.

It has been decades since there has been a radio location signal in
1.8-1.81. Loran has been gone for a LONG time.

What the political antics were at the World Radioalloction Conference
(WRC), I have no idea, but for some reason someone with some favors to pull
didn't want to let go of it. Maybe leftover cold war stuff, who knows. It
IS clear that quite a few, if not most, countries in Region 1 don't give a
hoot.

I would agree with an earlier post, that knowing what the COUNTRIES enforce
would be the only binding issue. And I don't see how to dump that on a
contest sponsor. You would be in effect trying to have the contest sponsor
impose enforcement of a WRC rule preserving a LORAN allocation for some
obscure political bartering situation.

For THIS PARTICULAR rule, I would say leave it to the operators and ignore
it. If there really was any region 1 stuff going on 1.8-1.81, that would be
quite the different story. The countries are the enforcing agencies, not
the conference. If a COUNTRY sees it for what it really is and refuses to
enforce, that is not my business.

Otherwise we have put the contest organizers in the position of being a
pawn for some country who won't let go of 1800-1810 unless they get some
certain something in exchange. Some NATO vs. Russia thing? Nobody seems to
know, enforcing the perception that this is some back closet, under the
table thing that no one but the 160m hams care about. If there is actually
more to that story, I'd love to hear it.

Let it go and leave published contest rules as they are. Someone tries to
pin down a contest sponsor, the answer is "no comment". Sponsoring a
contest is already an unreal amount of VOLUNTEER work.

73, Guy K2AV