Topband: 160M DX Conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160M DX Conditions
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:53:57 -0000
Well the problem is that I just live in a normal house in the city, with a
normal-sized garden !

So no room for Beverage Antennas - and even my TX Antenna (a half-wave
Dipole) doesn't fit within my own property.  My only separate RX antenna is
a homebrew Loop tuned to 160m up in the loft.

I just do the best I can from a very ordinary QTH.

Another big problem here in Britain is that Internet Broadband is mainly
delivered using the old overhead copper telephone wires, which radiate
terrible hash all over the lower bands. These are starting to be replaced
with fibre-optic cables, but until they are, they are a huge source of noise
if you live in the city.

73 Roger G3YRO

------

Roger,

I think you're getting out alright but RX may be a little lacking or perhaps
it was just overly noisy in Ol Blighty last night.

Called you last night after a couple Midwest USA stations gave up. Probably
around 0040z or thereabouts. You were solid. Finally got 1 QRZ, then you
just started calling CQ right away after giving me enough
time to send my call 2-3 more times.

I called 2 CQ's just afterwards a few kcs up the band and lit up 18 skimmers
from G through VE6(right at SS in VE6), so I know I was getting out.  I am
not the loudest signal on the band, but I do "ok'.

Legal limit to an inverted L type of antenna.

GL with your CQing.

Hey, I tried !

73 de Mike VE9AA