Re: Topband: Need antenna help

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Need antenna help
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 10:57:20 -0500
The first question to ask is what is the operating goal for 160.

1) Local net or rag chew with his buddies.? In that case use the existing vertical assuming the AATU can match it is enough . Might have to a add lump loading coil at base  to get it the point AATU can deal with it . Generally this is a low impedance solution and likely a good open frame style relay with 10-20 amp contacts area will be fine

2) Casual worked all states and occasional EU DX especially from NE USA . I worked a fair amount of DX years ago using only a 33ft Butternut vertical and a KW which for all practical purposes is a simple base loaded vertical

3) Is high power involved or is this a  barefoot operation?

4) If he really wants to be heard ( and be able to switch the neighbors touch lamps on and off at 25 wpm ..chuckle) then switched in top loading wires and 1500W amp is the reality. OR move to the county and put up some real antennas.

Dave

NR1DX