Re: Topband: NA activity + Inv-L corner insulator

To: W3HKK@roadrunner.com
Subject: Re: Topband: NA activity + Inv-L corner insulator
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 19:32:52 -0400
In the pulley snag conundrum, I found that the small marine grade stainless
steel, ball bearing pulleys would handle the black sheathed 3/16 in
parachute cord style rope and never a snag. They also pull very easy as the
bearing never freezes up from exposure to merely (vs. salt) water.

I also have a pair of insulators at the bend, one to the vertical wire,
another to the horizontal wire with a loop of "Flexweave" wire from the
horizontal to the vertical. That way in the wind there is no way for the
forces to be flexing a hard connection from the vertical to the horizontal.
After 2 or 3 (or was it 7 or 8) failures at this point with wires on the
ground it finally dawned on me that the wind constantly varied the angle
between the two wires, and fatigue at the joint was inevitable and
frequent.

YMMV but I'll never again have a "hard joint" at that point. I started this
in 2010, and have gone 11 years without the L coming down for that (one
dumb rope thing, though).

73, and long in the future may your heirs have to figure out how to get it
down out of the trees.

Guy K2AV