Re: Topband: Results: "Fusing" Beverage Antennas From Falling Trees

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Results: "Fusing" Beverage Antennas From Falling Trees
From: fmoeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 10:50:05 -0400
From Falling Trees I thought that I would report to the reflector the results
of my efforts to find a way to deal with falling branches and trees causing my
beverage wires to need constant repair. My beverages are 8 feet high and 650
feet long and run through densely wooded areas.  I use WD-1A military comm wire
which is tough stuff but breaks when a large branch or tree fall across it.
Several months ago I posted a request on the reflector looking for ideas as to
how to deal with the problem.  I got several very good suggestions including
one from Steve VE6WZ. He suggested using a counterweight on the ground at each
end of the beverage.  The weight would will be pulled upward if a tree fell
across the wire and hopefully the wire would not break.   Knowing that we have
lots of summer storms with high winds I arranged one of the beverages with the
weights in May.  The new system worked great.  I had large trees fall across
the beverage on more than one occasion and all I need to do was remove the
trees and the weights came back to their resting position. I found that a 15
pound weight at each end kept the 650 foot wire taut but would also be light
enough to be lifted by a falling tree.  I used plastic electric fence
insulators to support the beverage along its length except at the ends where I
used small pulleys to lessen the stress on the wire where it bends downward. I
have now installed all my beverages using this system.  It will be interesting
to see if they survive the winter storms. Thanks to VE6WZ for the idea. 73
Randy W9ZR_________________Searchable Archives:
http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband Reflector