Topband: Results: "Fusing" Beverage Antennas From Falling Trees

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Results: "Fusing" Beverage Antennas From Falling Trees
From: Randy via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:58:04 +0000 (UTC)
I thought that I would report to the reflector the results of my efforts to
find a way to deal with falling branches and trees causing my beverage wires to
need constant repair. My beverages are 8 feet high and 650 feet long and run
through densely wooded areas.  I use WD-1A military comm wire which is tough
stuff but breaks when a large branch or tree fall across it. Several months ago
I posted a request on the reflector looking for ideas as to how to deal with
the problem.  I got several very good suggestions including one from Steve
VE6WZ. He suggested using a counterweight on the ground at each end of the
beverage.  The weight would will be pulled upward if a tree fell across the
wire and hopefully the wire would not break.   Knowing that we have lots of
summer storms with high winds I arranged one of the beverages with the weights
in May.  The new system worked great.  I had large trees fall across the
beverage on more than one occasion and all I need to do was remove the trees
and the weights came back to their resting position. I found that a 15 pound
weight at each end kept the 650 foot wire taut but would also be light enough
to be lifted by a falling tree.  I used plastic electric fence insulators to
support the beverage along its length except at the ends where I used small
pulleys to lessen the stress on the wire where it bends downward. I have now
installed all my beverages using this system.  It will be interesting to see if
they survive the winter storms. Thanks to VE6WZ for the idea. 73 Randy W9ZR